Follow Along:

Tel : 231-420-0042

Copyright 2019

1/6

Welcome

Welcome to the Mackinac Island, Michigan private community of “Sunset Forest Association”.  Sunset Forest, located on the western side of the Island, is a beautiful and unique wooded setting of Victorian and Turn-of-the-Century single-family permanent homes and summer cottages. It is comprised of the following group of neighborhood developments: Woodbluff and Stonecliffe Manors I, II, III, IV, V.

Away from the daily hustle and bustle of town, the Woodbluff development perches on a bluff overlooking the Straits waterway.  The Stonecliffe Manor developments intertwine with the sweeping fairways of the Woods nine of Grand Hotel’s The Jewel golf course. 

 

Mackinac Island State Park occupies 80% of the Island and the remaining 20% is under private ownership.  Sunset Forest is one of the largest tracts of land under private ownership. It was once part of Private Claim #2 and became part of the 150-acre palatial grounds on which Chicago entrepreneur Michael Cudahy built his family’s summer home (mansion) in 1904.  The mansion (Turn-of-the-Century Tudor Revival style) is now operated as The Inn at Stonecliffe. 

Please contact us if you have questions, suggestions and/or want to learn more about homeownership in Sunset Forest.

Phone:  231-420-0042

Email:  info@sunsetforest.org

Address: P.O. Box 1941, Mackinac Island, MI 49757

Sunset Forest Association Mission Statement:

 

(1) Coordinating safety for property owners, their families, and their guests. This includes
road improvements and maintenance, snowplowing, lighting and ensuring clearance for
emergency vehicles.

 

(2) Collaborating on architectural review. This will help preserve Mackinac Island’s Victorian
and Turn-of-the-Century architecture and interpret and enforce the requirements of the
individual developments.

 

(3) Improving communication between all six developments, the City of Mackinac Island, and
the Mackinac Island State Park. This includes developing and maintaining a mobile-friendly
website, keeping owners informed of current events, and providing neighborhood
information to current and prospective owners.

 

(4) Protecting the unique character of Sunset Forest as a private Mackinac Island community.
This includes collective action to protect our neighborhoods from adverse development.

Mackinac Island 1913 Map.png

Map courtesy of Mackinac State Historic Parks Collection